Introduced in 1958 200 were built. Initially they were the front line diesel locomotive on the LMR and ER, working the WCML until superceded by the electrification. The underestimation of the power required for running mainline expresses meant they were soon used on secondary services and freight. They were withdrawn between the mid 1970s and 1980s.
© Paul Bartlett's Photographs